Pages

Friday, July 3, 2015

December 4, 2012 | The Knife (from the other side)


“A stillness settles in my heart and is carried to my hand. It is the quietude of resolve layered over fear. And it is this resolve that lowers us, my knife and me, deeper and deeper into the person beneath. It is an entry into the body that is nothing like a caress; still, it is among the gentlest of acts. Then stroke and stroke again, and we are joined by other instruments, hemostats and forceps, until the wound blooms with strange flowers whose looped handles fall to the sides in steely array.” Richard Selzer, The Knife



It’s 3.20 in the morning and sleep is again failing me. The knife approaches with the ticking of each second, its blade is sharpened, poised, ready.


“Sickness” is a sallow word, one that this morning, I refuse to take on. I am not sick. I am not a victim of a shiny metal object that acts out its final will. Sometimes, I refuse to sit on the patients’ chair. I greet doctors with a firm handshake. With a newfound reverence for their profession, there is one thing that these men and women cannot forget despite its ease to do so. On the other side of the knife is life. It is entire families and memories and pains and joys. This could be you, your daughter, or your best friend. Remember this.

We were walking along the Western Seattle waterfront the other day, first grader Eve and I wandering a few paces behind collecting flowers, rocks and shells. Joy radiated from her young face as we discovered bright red berries that spurted dye and purple flowers that had already began to crust and dry as delicate paper petals. “Are you sick?” Eve suddenly asked me, he brown eyes staring up at me.

Eve may visit me in the hospital this week at the University of Washington Medical Center and I will look “sick”. My head will be shaved to the scalp and my skin flecked with lavender IV bruises and the blood that gathers in their sterile plastic tubes. I may even feel “sick,” mind spinning with anesthesia and sleep once again availing my body with hourly vitals checks to monitor that state of the life within me.

It could be easy to be a victim. Let me tell you, it is easy to walk through corridors and sit in buses and wonder, ‘why me?’. Why do I have a tumor growing in my head and you don’t? And he doesn’t, and she doesn’t? How can you laugh freely and carry on your life as if nothing is wrong? Now this – this is tempting. Yet I let my head hang and grasp onto the flecks of joy that remain in my own mind. Within me lies the hope of a contemplated future, the joy of love despite pain, the power of friends and family and an outpouring of love that only a flirtation with our own mortality can bring to the surface of our shared humanity. It’s the most powerful human force I have ever experienced.

“You cannot separate passion from pathology any more than you can separate a person's spirit from his body.” - Richard Selzer, Letters to a Young Doctor

So in saying that, and with just 15 minutes until I am expected to rise, disinfect my tired body, and catch a 4.45am cab to the Surgery Pavilion where I will be stripped into a gown, my hair shaved and my body again relegated to victimhood, I can confidently say that I am lucky. I have never felt so lucky. I spoke to a man doing vision field testing on me the other day in the Harborview hospital. We spoke of true humility that comes with realizing our own mortality – the humility that leaves you broken and open yet empowered as you realize the great power that comes from within and the power of human beings. I may not believe in a monotheistic or polytheistic god yet I’ve never so much believed in the intrinsic, loving, spiritual power of the human mind and the human body. Prayer and meditation allows us to enter into realms of power that are inaccessible simply as objects of flesh and bone. We are fighters.

The world still sleeps as I farewell another chapter in life. To be honest, I’m excited. I’m excited to smile as I fall asleep in the bed this morning and I’m excited for the crazy wigs to cover my bare head (of which we all have one) already shipping from the mighty amazon.com. I’m excited to wake and know most of the tumor is gone, excited for the crazy hippy teas I know my brother is going to make me drink as ‘treatment’ and excited to be once again able to move and run and dance with more joy and gratitude than ever before. This morning I choose to trust the knife and with honest dedication trust the power of the human soul. I choose not to be sick, and choose to remember the joy of the smallest flower and shell and spoken and unspoken word.

“You turn aside to wash your gloves. It is a ritual cleansing. One enters this temple doubly washed. Here is man as microcosm, representing in all his parts the earth, perhaps the universe.”

The knife patiently awaits and I am ready.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking us on this journey, and for being an inspiration to us all. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Karen said...

Dear Bethany
I am a neighbour and friend of Melaine and Guy, and I am so pleased they are able to be with you and James at this time.
Through your blog I can see you know how much your family and friends love you. Remember their friends and family do too.
I have the privledge of meeting Guy's children, and know how much they are looking foreard to meeting you and how concerned they are for you.
My parents ask after you every day.

May the following message taken from the "Five to Thrive" blogs give you strength.

Love, laughter and feelings of joy actually have positive physiological effects on your internal landscape. In fact, this area of research is so compelling that it has a name: positive psychology. The science of love and happiness is showing us that people who feel happy and loved have better quality of life and have more potential to live longer, healthier lives. When we support our health from a place of love, we have the most potential to be healthy and happy and help others be healthy and happy as well.
Here are five simple things you can do to add more love into your life every day.
1. Encourage gratitude.
Being grateful for others fills your heart with appreciation. You can encourage gratitude in your life by starting your day with thoughts of gratefulness. Before you even get out of bed, think of at least one thing, situation or being for which you are grateful. Let yourself appreciate this object of gratitude for a few moments. You could also keep a gratitude journal and, each night before bed, jot down the things you were grateful for that day.
2. Meditate on love.
Think about several times when you felt loved, and picture those times in your mind’s eye. These are now your love meditations. Take some time each week to listen to relaxing music and think about the love meditations you have created. Recall how you felt, whom you were with and how appreciated and loved you felt at that time. When you are done, take some full, deep breaths and let those moments sink into the very fabric of your being.
3. Speak from the heart.
This week, tell someone you love either verbally or in writing why you love them and why you appreciate their love. It doesn’t have to be a big, drawn out event—just a simple act of speaking the truth and reminding yourself and others that you experience love and are grateful for the opportunity to share it. Be authentic in your expression.
4. Do what you love.
What are your top three things you just love to do? Keep track of how much time you spend each week doing one or more of those three things. Relish the moments you do get to enjoy them, and if you can, give each of these loved activities even a few more minutes of your time.
5. Love yourself.
Take time each week to appreciate something about yourself. Maybe it’s a characteristic or attribute. Or maybe it’s a special talent. With a smile on your face, give yourself a hug or a pat on the back. We all have gifts to share, and it’s important that we recognize and love the gifts that we carry.
With love from New Zealand
Karen