Pages

Friday, July 5, 2013

Bruises and Brains

You may have seen recently that I've been toying with the idea of changing course in this blog and heading more into research. This, by my journalism instructors definition, is a "rant-style" blog, and is too personal for a journo.

Early last week, James was tickle-attacking me (I call it attack because he isn't ticklish and I am rendered defenseless) and my fingernail brushed my thigh.

It was a light brush, but something in my squealing tone must have changed as I was taken aback by unexpected pain. Tingles shot up into my groin and down to my knee, and a few minutes later tiny, black bruises had splotched themselves on my white, winter skin.

It was all revealed a few days later when I was sitting in the reclining leather chair in the day ward for my chemotherapy, chatting with the nurses and the old man opposite me on his IV line.

"Have you noticed any strange bruising, Bethany?" a concerned nurse asked. I laughed. My platelets are at a record low: 34. The average range is 150 - 450.

Staring down at my now-enlarged bruise the other day, I realized I can't simply research. If I did, the little stupid personal things would be lost, as would my space to express word in whichever way they want to paint themselves on the page.

And so, I made a new site specifically for researching brain cancer. I'm focusing on compiling new innovations, approaches and understandings about tumors of the brain. If you're not of the mind to be bogged down by cancer and all it entails, I've formatted it to make it easy to do a quick scan of the important bits and then take off running!

If you're interested, do check it out: www.brainbuzz.org.



No comments: