Pages

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Growth lesson #1

These may sound silly, but I had the idea today to begin posting about one Growth Lesson I learn from life each day. Usually, the things we learn in life are so simple, and we've probably heard and tried to practise them a thousand times before it sinks in. So bear with me as I explore the simple secrets of life.

Today's Growth lesson I dedicate to Adriene, with whom James and I have begun doing yoga with before bed and when we wake. Here she is in one of her masterpieces:


Adriene's motto is "find what feels good". She's all about listening to your body and personalising your life. If you've never tried yoga before, or are cynical but secretly think it would be good like I used to be, then this girl is the one to check out. Especially this one, but make sure to brush your teeth first because you'll want to fall straight into bed!

Anyway, a while ago I began my (other) wonderful daily routine of going up to the top of Te Ahumairangi hill here in Wellington, wandering slowly around the top soaking in the 360 degree views, and heading back down. How fortunate am I! This soon evolved into running, partially to make it more time efficient, but also for the new challenge it presented. I had a goal - to run to the top. I never made it. It's a seven minute run. 

On this beautiful morning, I felt a tiny speck of a sinking feeling in my heart as I headed out, a tiny whisper of dread about the inevitable gasping that running uphill brings. It's such a small thing, but I decided to walk. And give up my "goal" of running to the top. Happily. Because for me, in nature, that's what feels good. So there's today's lesson for me: find what feels good (not what society tells us feels good) and listen to my body.  

No comments: