Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

January 21, 2013 | Wouldn't Change a Thing


If you could go back and change something, what would it be?

The question has been meandering around my mind recently. Would I have not used my cell phone in Togo? Would I have not gone for the summer in Togo when the tumor began growing? Perhaps that would spare this pain. Going even further, would I not have gone to the US at all? Perhaps if I had stayed home I would have been healthier and not exposed to whatever environmental trigger caused it to begin. Would I have gone into the hospital at the first headache? Would I eat more anti-carcinogenic foods, or stringently follow books on cancer prevention?

I wouldn’t.

Cancer sucks. It’s treatment sucks. Being rendered infertile sucks. But to be honest, clichés aside, I do believe the whole thing is an invaluable lesson. Nothing else would have forced me to move back to New Zealand for a year or caused me to slow down and contemplate what really matters in life. Before, I may have been reading books about slowing down and the global slow movement, but living slowly was simply a sideline activity in a busy, driven life. Since, I’ve never been so aware of the love and support that surrounds James and me, and my cynicism has been gently replaced by a faith and hope in humanity.

I have always struggled with vulnerability (this trait inherited genetically). My lecturer in a Personal and Exploratory Writing course last semester would discuss with me about why I put up walls of armour in life and in writing, and tend to try to be and appear strong and avoid conflict both within and inter-personally. It’s true, I’m no good at fighting, and usually don’t see the point in conflict. It’s also true that for the past three years I probably appeared as some strong young woman out conquering the world, immune to fear and loneliness.

World traveling and skydiving and all those things don’t make a person brave. They do help one develop bravery, and for something such as bravery to intentionally be developed there must be a perceived lack. Perhaps I was trying to prove something. Perhaps I was trying to be something I wasn’t. Perhaps I had forgotten what life is all about, got caught up in the race for success and saving the world without stopping to take a deep breath…perhaps. Don’t get me wrong, my old life was absolutely wonderful and I don’t ever want to deny that. But in this new chapter, I am grateful to take part in the lower levels of life…in the pain that millions are suffering each day that I never truly understood, in the despair that many women feel worldwide when unable to have children.

And there’s a lot more to learn. I don’t know what I will think looking back from within the jagged tracks of chemotherapy. Perhaps I will scoff at the idea of being grateful for the situation that cancer presents. In many ways, I have a long way to go. This is a journey I’m deeply grateful for, and profoundly thankful that I get to share it with the ones I love. Some people find the love of a God during illness, but I am now a student of the love of humanity…. and I wouldn’t change a thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading each words of yours Bebe and feel it. It gives a message how my sister (Bebe) is doing. "A student of the love of humanity...and I wouldn't change" That's great expression Bebe. With hugs and prays
From didi, Tara

Anonymous said...

I'm very very sorry to know that the tumor begining growth when you were at togo.
if you have faith in the nature, know that the nautre can save you.
B2

Anonymous said...

I'm now also reading. Keep writing. It's probably good for you, and I know it's good for me.
Elayne