Pages

Thursday, June 11, 2015

April 3, 2013 | To Jen



Oh Jen…

Here I am. You’ve caught me in a good time to write to you, because I’m feeling shitty. I know that’s a weird thing to say, but I know when I’m feeling good I have a tendency to glaze over things and tell you that life is wonderful and fabulous and every moment sparkles with the sheer joy of being alive.

But you deserve more than that. 

No, I am alone in this house I don't feel at home in, staring at my computer, and I had to force myself to open it to do things because all I really feel like doing is lying on the nice, big, fluffy rug. 

I know I should listen to music or something to uplift my spirits and chase away the silence that surrounds me, but honestly, I can’t be bothered getting up to get headphones or turn the stereo on.

So, silence it is. Sprinkle in some distant car and chainsaw sounds, people preparing for winter. Ralph just barked. Little laptop keys tip-tapping away to you. A bird just sang – they like to do that. (Yeah, I just said that.)

The ‘sickness’ I feel from chemo is so hard to describe. Usually when I’ve had something wrong with me in the past it was something you can put words to, you know? Like a sore stomach, or head, or itchy something-or-other, queasiness, or period cramps… but this is so hard to describe. My body just feels worn out, like it’s falling apart. It's an assortment of little complaints (the very word makes me wince): aching jaw when I eat, a bit of a headache when I move my head, some light sensitivity, feeling nauseous with sudden movement, tingly fingers, slightly yet eternally sore muscles, always being a little tired, mouth stinging from anything acidic, sensitive teeth. 
But everything is so minor they're not worth complaining about. So shitty will have to do as a descriptor. 

James is at work today – it’s his first day. Yes, he got a job!!!! I can’t explain how excited I am for him. It’s hurt me to see his frustration in being idle and not having a social life here. It hurts me because I see it’s hard for him, but I think the worst part might be my guilt. I’ve watched his struggle and my mind whispers to me “this is your fault”. Constantly. I don’t know what to do to remedy it sometimes. Being positive doesn’t seem to work, because who wants someone being smiley and upbeat when you’re feeling frustrated? It just makes me seem annoying and insensitive. I just don’t know what else to do or how else to be.

I got distracted. Sorry. I was talking about his job and thinking about when he didn’t have it. It’s so silly to mope about the past isn’t it? But so easy to do. Anyway, why I’m so excited about this job is that it’s his first serious job if you don’t include restaurants. I mean, not that I think hospitality isn’t very important (it is!), but I’ll admit to being a bit relieved that he’s not working late nights/early mornings, especially full time. He is working for the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment in the IT department as a Project Analyst, which sounds super technical but they say the most important thing is people skills, which fortunately enough he’s got! It’s not minimum wage either (minimum is $14.50 an hour here, so do come!), which is sweet, and there’s room to grow. Ooh, I’m so happy for him!

It made me so warm and fuzzy inside when you told me you had got to know James a lot better when he came back last time. It makes me think back to that time in Togo when we were staying in that weird house in Accra at the start of the whole thing, and you told me you were unsure about him not because you didn’t like him, but that you couldn’t help being protective of me. I get that. But I’m so glad you were finally able to experience how fabulous he is, and how you really can trust him to take good care of me while not taking me away from you and my friends. Well, I guess I am away from you and friends. :(

Did I tell you I have some friends here now? You can probably count them all on one hand, but still, it’s an improvement! James and I had a dinner party last weekend, and I can’t begin to explain how lovely it was. We had over Joe, an old family friend (he was one of the two brothers I was supposed to marry, but he's into boys so there’s a pursuit saved, haha!), and another couple of girls with a boyfriends who were from New Plymouth and are in the theatre world here. 

I didn’t really know them in sweet little NP, but I prefer being able to start afresh and not have to deal with fleeing the remnants of my old self. That's probably why I'm not in contact with many folks from the hometown. It was Easter weekend (well, obviously, you know that part) so we cooked a massive meal for them, and set up an Easter egg hunt around the house for between courses. We had the fire crackling and all sat around with wine on the rug by the fire…

Yeah, that nice big fluffy rug!! I just went and had a lie on it and talked to Kot (who is sad she didn’t get to say goodbye to you) on Skype (which we will have to do)…oh what a nostalgic, heart-aching day! I may talk about how much I enjoy dinner parties with new friends, but nothing can compare to the friendships I had in Moscow. I miss feeling like I’m part of a community. Talking of Moscow, you must have left by now… tell me all about it! How do you feel?

I know feelings are so fickle, but I think sometimes in our distrust of them we can overlook how much wisdom they actually contain. Like, if something doesn’t ‘feel’ right, it probably isn’t right, you know what I mean. Probably more than I do, as you’ve always been far more in tune with yourself and your feelings than I have. How does it feel being back with family? I wish it were as easy as it seems like it should be. On the surface, and to other people, it may look like it would be super easy for someone our age to re-integrate our selves back with our parents, but it’s not exactly an "aaaah, so good to be back" experience. It feels like it takes more effort to be ourselves, the selves we spent the last few years getting to know. I wish you and your lovely parents all the best (I miss them!).

Talking of family, how is Molly? You know, I have always thought of her and care about her. Like you with Aden! Who, I must tell you, is getting on fabulously in Stratford, as much as he can. I love him for the person he is and has become. I love that he catches up with dad all the time. In a book I was reading the other day (which you will like and relate to, it’s called ‘Sister’ by Rosamund Lupton) the older sister realizes that although she had always thought she was being the ‘responsible sibling’ by going off to the US and being the over-achiever, she realizes that her younger sister, an aspiring hippy artist who stayed near her parents, was really the one who was taking on the burden (in a good sense) of their parents. I can see now that it's not intrinsically glamorous to take off into the world. 

It’s funny how so often what society views as ‘success’ can be at odds with familial bonds. It's a great big balancing act, isn't it - happiness, values, community, success...

Anyway, I’ve been rambling. Sorry for talking so much. There’s just not much else I feel like doing today to be honest. I hope you will forgive me for posting this publicly. I know you said to me that I should be totally honest with you and say things I wouldn’t say on my blog, but as I was writing this I realized that this is just what I want to be sharing with people. I want to write honestly, in fact don't really see the point in anything otherwise, yet it's a struggle not to put on a brave face, and you know it. You’ve helped me immensely, in so many ways.

I love you and I miss you,

B.


P.S. Here is a picture I thought you would find funny. I saw it on the wall of a fish n' chip shop. I've been trying to do some push ups every day so this is what I look like!!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Bethany,

I decided to write my response in a comment instead of an email. So here it goes! It's going to be a looong comment ;)

I was sitting outside earlier and I saw a squirrel running across one of the telephone wires in the backyard. It instantly made me think of you because I know how much you love squirrels :) They're just so cute and fuzzy!

I'm sorry you feel shitty. I wish there was a way for me to take all of that shittiness away from you. I would do that 100 times over for you :) But I guess I'll have to be content with sending lots of love and goodies your way instead :)It does help knowing that you're in good hands.

Congratulations to James! (James, if you're reading this, congrats!) That is very exciting news! People skills are one of his forte's so I'm sure he'll be super successful in his position and excel well beyond his fellow coworkers :) I think you're doing just fine, my dear. Just be yourself. And don't be too hard on yourself :)

Yes, it is very easy to mope about the past! I find myself doing it from time to time and I have to tell myself to stop. The past is in the past. And I am grateful for it. I'd much rather be in the here and now. This reminds me of a quote... I'll have to find it for you one of these days :)I've been super into quotes lately.

Oh man, Togo seems like a lifetime ago, doesn't it?! What a strange summer, haha. But again, I'm grateful for it. I do remember that conversation because it was hard for me to talk about it. But I couldn't ignore what I was feeling. However, I have no doubt that he is taking incredible care of you and I wouldn't want it any other way :)James is fabulous.

Friends are great! You had a dinner party?! You have no idea how jealous I am, haha. Some of my favorite moments last semester were of dinner parties at your apartment. And Sunday brunch (especially Sunday brunch). It always gave me something to look forward to and I always admired how you both would invite people into your lives like that. It's inspired me to be more inviting to others and someday, when I have my own house (or apartment), I'm going to throw dinner parties too! Just like you two :) My house will be filled with people and food and it will be awesome!

I had an Easter egg hunt too! Oh my god, I loved it. I don't care what anyone says... you can never be too old for an Easter egg hunt, haha. I want to come sit on the nice, big fluffy rug with you! When we skype you'll have to show it to me, haha. I'm bummed I didn't say goodbye either :( But I'll be back in May to retrieve the rest of my belongings so I will try and get together with her then :)

You'll always have a place in Moscow :) And I hope you continue to create your community while you're in New Zealand. Yes, I am in Boise now and it feels good. Honestly, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders :)I don't know how else to explain it. It just feels good. My stress level has gone wayyyyy done since I've been here which has helped immensely.

Being back with family feels great. I'm going to be spending more time with my aunts and cousins and I'm really looking forward to that. My mom and I are going to a hot springs next weekend! And I think there's an ABBA concert next Friday. I freaking love ABBA. You know ABBA, right? And I'm going shooting with my dad in like 2 weeks? (I know, it's my inner redneck showing, haha). I will give them your love :) I know they miss you!

Unknown said...

Molly is doing well (I think, haha). Sometimes it's hard to tell with her. But she's working in the Gardening section of Fred Meyers (which is a department store) and she really loves it. She loves taking care of all of the plants. She's really good at it too! I think she'd be a good florist :) It's good to see her doing something she likes to do. I will tell her you say hi! And tell Aden (and the rest of your family) hi for me too :) I'll have to take a look at that book. Aden is a good man and has probably taken on a lot of responsibility by choosing to stay home.

It's okay, I'm the queen of rambling, haha. Don't apologize! You know that I love hearing what you have to say :) Speaking of rambling, I was going to tell you about my dad's cats. Lately, I've taken to sitting on the back porch and watching how my dad's cats interact with each other and the world (their names are Frank and Zulu). I could sit there for hours. Sometimes, I feel like being a cat would be awesome. You don't have a care in the world and you get to eat and sleep all of the time, haha (you know how I love my naps ;) I sound like an old lady, I know. But it's the funniest thing. Cats are awesome. I'll have to show you them when we skype :)Speaking of which, just let me know when there's a good time to do that. I'm unemployed so I have a lot of free time. Like a lot.

Gosh, I feel like I have so many stories for you. I don't know where to start! I absolutely forgive you for posting this publicly! I understand :) I love you and miss you like crazy. Talk to you soon :)

Love,
Jen

P.S. #11 (or #12, I can't remember) Spanish class... enough said, haha.

Bethany said...

Oh Jen!!!! Thank you so much for your sweet words. They do make me miss you more. Thank you for being so understanding of me sharing your letter. It’s perfect. I feel so liberated now to rant to you about my new love! Cats are just the best. Our Warwick has the loudest, happiest purr, and he is just perfect in every way...according to mum and I. I'm hoping James doesn't read this, as I’m already under scrutiny for being too in love with Warwick. He thinks and fears (rightly so) that I am turning into a mad cat woman…

Woohoo!!!

I have passed on my congratulations to James…when I began writing this he was out on the town. So cute, he said at first he would be back by 7, and I laughed. Then later, it was “I’m sorry, don’t be mad, but I’m going to be out late” which, of course, I knew already. Isn’t that cool? He has bonded over beers with his new workmates already!! ☺

My gosh, that summer in Togo was definitely strange. We came out alive though, and I think better for it. We haven’t even had any of our recorded memories ones from then yet….selective memory ;)

It makes me so, immensely happy to hear that you feel the weight lifted off your shoulders. It’s about time, and you deserve it. When I wrote the part about it not always being easy being back at home, I was being very me-ish and although I am an optimist, I tend to take the more pessimistic approach to things so that everything turns out better than expected! Like when James and I were tramping (you know this means hiking right?) I told him there was still an hour to go when there was only half an hour…so that when we emerged half an hour later the feeling was delightful! High expectations are always a killer. I guess that’s what I was really worried about, that your expectations of going back to Boise would be so high (expecting everything to suddenly be easy) that you would feel let down…but if you don’t expect it to be wonderful then you will find that the little things like going shooting and going to hot springs will surprise you in delightful ways!

But, of course, you already knew all that. I always underestimate you. I’m sorry.

Bethany said...


I love hanging out with mum too. The other day I went to drop in my form at the journalism school and it hit me that I wouldn’t be able to spend all year just hanging out with mum anymore…that this time is precious and I have to make the most of it before July when it starts. We make face masks out of yoghurt and honey and whatever else we can find, we hang out the washing together, cook, take Ralph for walks (when I have the energy to) and run errands. I love it. You know, without this tumor I wouldn’t have really seen mum again, except for short bursts on holidays. The same goes for dad, and Aden, and Guy and Nicholas and Harriet. I really wouldn’t have been able to get to know them, ever.

It’s so crazy the way life works. I don’t need to rant about the value of family because you already know that, and I mentioned it before. But luck or fate or whatever describes the way things fall into place is something that baffles me all the time. Aden and I were talking about it last night actually. (Side note – I get to talk to Aden on the phone now whenever I want for free!). We were talking about how that thing, luck/fate/destiny/calling, does exist, but we play the biggest part in it. We create the situation and circumstances, and then it steps in. I guess that’s why a great relationship usually begins when someone is at the point in their life when they are satisfied with who they are – when we have finally evolved ourselves to a point where we can grow no further alone and so need someone to grow with..

Oh man, I feel like I am actually talking to you. Skype. I can’t find you! What is your Skype name? I am free all of today, and tomorrow except for when we leave for a couple of hours, ditto until July actually. I usually keep myself ‘busy,’ like I don’t just sit and stare at a wall, but I can easily organize my housework and writing and awkward yoga in our tiny bedroom around talking to you. I have about 5 Skype accounts because I keep forgetting my passwords, but the one it has automatically logged me in to is ‘beebeelowe’. With a name like that I presume it is my old one (It has a picture of me in Mongolia on it) so I’ll let you know if I remember the password for a newer one.

See you soon dear!!

Unknown said...

:) I believe my skype name is jennifer.emerson26. I will double check though :) I'm on my dad's computer so i'll have to get on my laptop to figure it out. Will be in touch my dear! :)

Unknown said...

Okay, so I was going to wait until we skyped to respond to your comment but I couldn't wait! So here's a quick response- think of it as a prelude to our skype date ;)

Don't worry, we can be mad cat women together :) That is cool that James is already making friends! Before you know it, he'll have a new band of New Zealand mates :) That's awesome.

I did know that tramping was hiking, haha. I think you may have mentioned it before. That thing you wrote about having low expectations made me laugh because I've literally said the same thing before. Like, I've felt the exact same way and I've always said keep your expectations low, that way you'll never be disappointed, haha. I think I have to amend that now though. I don't think you should keep your expectations low when it comes to people... what do you think? I feel like that just sets people up for failure. I am glad that I can exceed your expectations, however ;)

Man, I wish I could be talking with you and Aden right now! I really miss the conversations we had together last year. They were some of the best I've ever had! I love what you say about great relationships. I doubt I've ever truly had any great relationships before (romantic ones, that is). I've had some good ones, some okay ones, some what the fuck ones (haha), but none of them have really been that spectacular. I'm holding out for spectacular, wonderful, inspiring, incredible :)

It's funny, earlier I was thinking about Togo. I was thinking about when you were interviewing us and one of the questions you asked was, "what does being successful mean to you?" I've been asking myself those kinds of questions lately. At the time, I think I answered it in terms of money. Having enough money to be comfortable and to be able to do the things you want to do (i.e. travel, have a family, run a business, whatever). It meant living within your means. Anyway, I was thinking of the conversation we had about it and I realized if you asked me that very same question today, I would have a very different answer. It still includes the part about money because I don't want to have to struggle with money (and I don't think anyone should have to). And I still think living within your means is important too (especially from an environmental standpoint). But now I would tell you being successful is about having positive relationships in your life. It's about creating a life worth living. To me, that means creating community, surrounding yourself with good people, investing in yourself so you may invest in others, and creating your own happiness. Accepting challenges as they come and sharing your experiences with others. That kind of success can't be measured by the amount of money you have in your bank account :) Love you and see you soon!