Pages

Friday, June 19, 2015

February 6, 2013 | Migration: A Letter to B, from James


Migration

Bethany, I think it's time I write you a letter. My Uncle Eric is deep in the South. His beard has grown thick and full. The grey mask reminds me of my father. He's working on a pipeline right now. Not managing it, not supervising, and not fighting fire. He's just working his aching bones into the ground. It's the kind of work usually reserved for strong backs just out of high school. Why is he there? Because life's messy. The retirement benefit for all of his years of breathing acrid smoke, smashing doors, resuscitating lives, pulling drunks from mangled wrecks, and grieving the innocence lost, is not enough for him to survive as an aging man. He'd love nothing more than to sip on a dram of Islay malt, taste Cuba, and watch over his black-land fields. Yet that remains an elusive dream. He wouldn't have me pity him though. He wouldn't have me pity myself either. And he most certainly wouldn't have me pity you.

Perhaps the thing I love the most about the old chess master is his undying love. His ability to smile a Texas smile at the sunshine before he puts his head down and drives a fence line. And he laughs. Babe he laughs so big, that big hearty bellow that could only be produced from the depths of such an immense heart. I always call Eric when I'm at my lowest points. I guess it always felt like his back was big enough for both of us. He rode his bike all the way from the Red River to Moscow just to see us on our proposal. He never complains. He's never lazy. And he's always a Southern gentleman. That good kind of Southerner, that maintains the old values but keeps a progressive mind. Maybe I love him so much because he always seemed like the version of my dad that I could be friends with. Anyways. The whole point of bringing him up is because I called him yesterday. He listened well and gave me good advice in that story teller way – unassuming yet relatable, with anecdotal advice from a life of adventures, riddled with failures in the midst of great joys. He placed a particular remark in the puzzles of my mind with poignant accuracy. “You're a control freak.”

I guess I am. I never really thought about it like that, but it seems to make a lot of sense. Wouldn't you agree? Although it may be nicely disguised, and there may be a good amount of leeway, it seems to make sense. Why am I so competitive? Why do I strive, sometimes at ridiculous lengths, to win any competition? Why did I care so much about my 4.0? Why do I still care so much about having the best grades? Not even content with A's, it infuriated me if anyone even scored a point higher on a test. And work, there it is again. I could have skated through and made similar money. Perhaps to some extent a healthy amount of a controlling attitude is a good thing. Yet, when it's not about grades, money, or making friends – when it's about something like feeling forced to move, forced to leave, forced to dismantle, then what? Why should it bother me so much? I should be thrilled to go to New Zealand. I should be thrilled to start a new adventure with you. To have a chance at something great, together. But perhaps it's as simple as choice. Even though I faked it well, I've been having trouble convincing myself that I want to do what we're doing. Unfortunately, my inability to cope with the ebb and flow of life catches you in the rip. I'm not saying that because of this new understanding I will be able to put all of my frustrations behind me and start thoroughly enjoying our situation. But I guess what I am saying is that I am able to start working on healthy decisions for the both of us. I've never liked being told what to do, and I hate being dragged into situations outside of my control. Yet, I realize that if I can't get a grip on the tangible in this scenario, I will most certainly make the situation worse for both of us.

The tangible? Well, I guess a lot could be considered tangible here, but a great deal of it is in my head. The loneliness, pity, regret, and sloth are not caused by our new found environment. They are caused by my inability to adapt. I'm not a happy person. In fact I'm incredibly depressed and bitter at the moment. But I do understand that it is up to me to make that a fleeting state, or a landslide. You don't deserve a man who can't be there to support you. And for that reason, I am dedicated to changing the man who writes you now. I'm sorry I've been falling apart. It's not fair to you, and it's not fair to our future. I love you more than anything in this world, and it's time I get back to showing you the truth in that statement. I'm coming home babe. XOXO

No comments: