Pages

Monday, June 15, 2015

February 21, 2013 | Hair #2

We had a rather special visit from Jenny Rankin this week. Amongst the delight of swimming naked on the beach where she and her husband lived 22 years ago with my parents (me growing in mum's tum) girly massage breaks and laughter over wine, Jenny encouraged James and I to begin the transformation of our words into images, both moving and still. Now me being a technophobe, I found this rather daunting.

The reason why I am excited, however, is the fact that I often find myself unable to adequately express the reality of our life here simply in words. Each visitor we had had here, including Jenny, has found it pleasantly refreshing to join us in the daily routine of radiation. While the machine is certainly space-age and a little intimidating, seeing the smiles on everyones faces and the evident support of all the staff, alongside our own happiness, the picture of treatment is a lot more encouraging than one may imagine.

It's entirely possible to be happy even when tired, or in pain. I know I've said this before, but now we will begin to show you. The first way in which I'll show you is displaying the issue of baldness and wigs. Now I know that the prospect of having permanent hair loss may seem a little depressing to some, but I've done a cost/benefit analysis and come to the conclusion that no hair is better than hair.

Here are my reasons:

1) You can choose the hair to suit your outfit/mood/plans, rather than having to do the opposite.
2) You will never have a bad hair day
3) If you want to change the colour of your hair, it's not damaging or expensive (or time consuming) to do so.
4) You can confuse people by changing hair secretly at a party
5) It's quicker to shower
6) You hair won't get tangled while sleeping
7) A wig keeps you nice and warm when it's cool
8) You are not defined by your hair
9) You can play different roles
10) You can try different styles and colours than you would usually be afraid to
11) It gives you a fresh perspective of what physical aesthetics really are, and what the value of hair really is.

James took these photos with our new camera that Jenny gave us:

The wig that used to be my cousin Evie's

...and her other one

The wig that the NZ government paid for (thanks!)

Cheapies from the US (everything there costs less)



Evie's again


I had the NZ one cut by a hairdresser as it was too similar to the other. 

Keep an eye out for more photos and eventually video - I promise they won't all be about hair!

No comments: